Why do a PhD in electrical engineering at PUC-Rio?
· A PhD is required for an academic career, research positions in government institutes and industrial companies.
· It is awarded based on original work of high calibre and scientific rigour, which is usually indicated by publications, inventions (patents), etc.
· PUC-Rio is a top university in Brazil with excellent facilities, located in a superb area near the best beaches of Rio de Janeiro. You can do a PhD at the same level as any top institution in Europe or in the USA.
· Full scholarships for 4 years (the PhD at PUC-Rio lasts 3-4 years), which currently amount to at least US$1000 (tax free) per month and also cover tuition fees.
· Great flexibility for choosing your topic in agreement with your supervisor.
· Travels to conferences to present your findings.
· What is required?
o Excellent English including both oral and written.
o Very good academic record.
o Creativity, passion, determination and scientific rigour.
o An MSc degree or equivalent.
o An application before the deadline. At PUC-Rio, in electrical engineering we recruit twice a year: a) applications by the end of June to start in August and b) applications by the end of November to start in February/March.
o You will need to take 5 courses in the first year, have a qualification exam at the end of the first year and then write a PhD thesis (preferably in English).
o The PhD degree requires you to collect enough findings within your topic to be able to publish 2-3 reputable journal papers and 4-6 international conference papers.
The main goal is to come up with original ideas that can have a significant scientific impact (the number of people who read your papers and refer to them).
How can I find accommodation?
· Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro is often expensive and a good way to start is to share a room. A straightforward way to look for rooms is via Easyroommate.
Note: The above description, comments and suggestions reflect my own opinion.